Sights in New Jersey :
Title:
Lucy the Elephant (2)
Date:
07/24/1926
Description:
This is a side view of Lucy the Elephant. You can see cars parked in front and to the side and a building in the background. The signs in the right corner of the photo say "Camping Here" and "Now open for view".

Wade labelled the negative sleeve "Elephant hotel at Ventnor, NJ", but townlines and Lucy herself have moved and she is now in Margate, NJ.

In 1926, the building to the right of Lucy (Lucy's website refers to it as the "Turkish Pavilion") was used as a hotel since it was during Prohibition. Before and after Prohibition, the building was used as a saloon/bar.

Lucy the Elephant is listed on the National Park Registry of Historical Landmarks. Lucy is a six-story elephant with a howdah on her back built in 1881 and is an example of zoomorphic architecture.

This photo shows the original howdah (platform on her back). A storm in 1929 tore it off and it was replaced with a less ornate model.
Place:
Margate, NJ/Ventnor, NJ
Photographer:
Wade, Elton H. L.
Object Name:
Negative, Sheet Film
Object ID:
2009.1.86
Other #:
104.2
Film Size:
3 1/4 x 5 1/2 in.
Copyright:
Franklin Township Public Library
Collection:
Elton H. L. Wade Photograph Collection
Related Link:
Click to Enlarge
Elephant - Hotel at Ventnor, NJ 104.2Elephant - Hotel at Ventnor, NJ 104.2